Thursday, January 6, 2011

Scoping out the local health food stores Part 1

Today I had about 30 minutes of leisure time without children so I pulled into a little local store here in Norman called The Earth.  It is located on flood in between Main and boyd.  If you know me well, you know that I can chill with any type of person and enjoy myself whether you be the president, homeless lady on the corner, skater, rocker, mom of 12 or grandma of 97 yrs old.  Well, I said all of that to say I really liked the people here.  Very laid back (kinda like myself) a little hippiesh (so my mother would say) and just real.  I love the way this store smells.  Kinda a mixture of coffee, herbs, incense and dry goods. 
Here is what I discovered:  Great produce!!! Yay!!  Reasonable prices on it too!  They have more in the refrigerated section.  They try to buy as much as possible from local farmers and it all looked so so yummy.

They have a great selection of dried beans, rice and oats!  You purchase them by the pound.  This corner made me happy because it looked like something out of an old pioneer movie.  You scoop the beautiful beans out yourself and pour them in a bag.

They offered steel cut oats sold by the pound.  I have yet to try them because they take about 1 hour to make and usually mornings I am rushing around so much Im not sure I would have the brain power to make these.  I have heard they are worth the wait of cooking time though!





Look at how beautiful these red beans were!  I could smell the cornbread cooking when I saw these...Oh wait...Im trying not to eat cornbread anymore!
On the North side of the store is a giant wall filled with shelves that have every kind of spice you could ever imagine on them.  You can purchase these spices by the ounce.  AWESOME!!!
They do carry the whole wheat pastry flour I need to make my banana bread.  It is a little pricey at $6.99.
The coffee looked and smelled great.  I can't wait to purchase some when my current package is empty!

Loved this hole in the wall place and can't wait to return with my pocketbook next time!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds good! I love to go in these stores though I find the health food store prices to be more than a little on the steep side. I will have to go in there to check in out though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LK, you are on it now! Having lived in the Austin, Texas area most of my life a "health food store" is easy to find. Wheatsville Co-op, Whole Foods, Central Market, NewFlower Market, Sprouts, etc., etc. Since healthy is becoming more mainstream, prices are coming down. The best I think, is to find one that is also participating in the eat local/buy local challenge. Happy New You, Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love "The Earth" and I love Austin. Yea for the Hill Country!!!

    ReplyDelete